Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Letter to the President of the United States

Actually I emailed the following to the White House this morning after reading an article about the Credit Card Legislation as it passed the Senate and is headed to the House.

I hope you will take time to read this article but if not at least look at the picture of Sen. Coburn found along side the article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/us/politics/20cong.html

I would like to mention that Congressman Raul Grjalva, the Subcommittee Chair, did hold a news conference stating his strong opposition to the added provision mentioned.

Here is my letter to the President.

“Instead of fine print that hides the truth, we need credit card forms and statements that have plain language in plain sight, ...”
“There is no time for delay. We need a durable and successful flow of credit in our economy, but we can’t tolerate profits that depend upon misleading working families. Those days are over.”

“We can’t prosper by putting off hard choices, or by protecting the profits of the few at the expense of the middle class...”
Remarks of President Barack Obama
Weekly Address
Washington, D.C.
SATURDAY, MAY 10, 2009
WEEKLY ADDRESS: President Obama Calls on Congress to Pass Credit Card Reform Bill (http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/WEEKLY-ADDRESS-President-Obama-Calls-on-Congress-to-Pass-Credit-Card-Reform-Bill/)

Sir:

If they travel to a National Park or refuge, the American consumer may not need protection from credit card companies. I ask you: If you were not the President of the United States, would you take your family to a wildlife refuge under the new legislation?

I give you the quotations from your own address to consider.

When I read the quotations above, I think how it applies to the credit card legislation the Senate passed. But not in the way you would hope.

“Instead of fine print that hides the truth...” Doesn't hiding the truth apply to adding the “loaded and concealed weapons” provision to the credit card legislation.

“...depend upon misleading working families.” Congress has been using these tactics for years. I wonder how many American families know that the Chairman of the Committee on Natural Resources, Nick J. Rahall II, is a life member of the NRA as proudly listed in the biography section of his website. How many of these families know Congressman Rahall received a grade of “A” from the NRA in 2008. I wish “Those days are over.” But I see they are not.

“...We can't prosper by putting off hard choices...” Please, Mr. President make a hard choice. As much as many Americans need credit card regulations, do not let congress high jack the legislation with uncalled for and dangerous “concealed and loaded” provision. Show the strength and patience you have shown so much already.

Please, VETO this legislation; send it back. Stand up to Congress! Use your skills as a diplomat if need be but don't let this idiocy go into law.



Sometimes I just get frustrated at the way OUR government works, or doesn't work.
All I can do is write and encourage others to do so too.

2 comments:

  1. You go girl. I left Eons because I'm not much for chit chat and glitter stuff but you should check out some of the political groups on there. There are some bad ones and there are some good ones --and some that have intelligent rational independent thinkers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of good it does but I can't seem to help myself. I guess writing these "officials" is better than beating my head on the wall.
    Thanks again for commenting.

    ReplyDelete